Thursday, September 16, 2010

Apple Hand Pies




It's that time of year for me. I want to pick apples. I want to eat apples. I want to drink apple cider. I want to make stuff with apples like pie & crisp & sauce and baked apples and caramel apples. mmmm apples.

Today I was on a search for something the kids could help with so we tried these Apple Hand Pies. They only sort of helped with the pie part but were a great help with peeling the apples. Thanks again to Grandma Sally for giving us the super cool apple peeler! If we do this again I will roll the whole mess of dough out and cut circles with a bowl or something. And apply an egg wash and sprinkle of sugar on the top. Jonah has been up since 5am though so I'm not on my game!


For CRUST:

1 1/8 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
8 T chilled butter, cut into cubes
3 T ice water

Add flour, salt & sugar to the bowl of a food processor and pulse once or twice. Add butter and pulse until it looks like cornmeal. Sprinkle water over the top and pulse until the mixture forms a ball. Add more water if necessary. Form dough into a log and slice into 6 equal portions. Wrap each one in plastic wrap and put in the freezer for at least 10 mintues.

For FILLING:

3 apples
1 T lemon juice
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Peel and core apples and slice into thin slices. Mix with flour sugar & cinnamon.

To assemble pies. Roll out each portion of dough until thin. Place a small amount of filling in the center of each one. Fold over dough and press with fingers to seal. Vent each one with two small slits in the top. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes or until golden.






oh and see that napkin!? I sewed it. It's an attempt to get the kids to use cloth napkins instead of a mountain of paper ones.

1 comment:

Ronda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Followers