Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Chicken Divan

So the recipe card I used to make this last night came out of the recipe box I made for my high school home-ec class a long time ago! Guess that means this recipe has been around a while, and I'm sure around even longer than when I copied for the recipe box project since the note on my card says it came from a Mason City cookbook where my parents lived when I was little! SO yeah, old recipe!

This one is easy comfort food for me in the winter and is a good way to use up leftover chicken or turkey. I often divide this into two 8x8 pans and freeze one for later or give one to a friend like I did last night to a friend whose father recently passed away. Her husband said he was never so happy to see a casserole since they have been eating take out and freezer food the past month while dealing with her dad's illness.


CHICKEN DIVAN

2 pkgs frozen broccoli or 2 large crowns of fresh broccoli cooked
2-3 cups cooked chicken
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 -1 cup bread crumbs
melted butter

Cook broccoli and spread in a 9x13 inch casserole pan. Cover with cooked chicken. Combine soups, mayonnaise, and lemon juice; pour over chicken. Spread cheese over the top. Mix bread crumbs with melted butter and spread over cheese. Bake for 30-40 minutes at 350.

No comments:

Followers